Not all children are going back to school in August and September. This webinar aims to raise awareness on the exclusion of children with disabilities from education and from mainstream education, structurally and in COVID-19 times.
Session 1: actions and realities in different EU countries, with a focus on Italy, Belgium, Spain and France
Session 2: panel discussion between COFACE and key European stakeholders on triggering a shift to fully inclusive education, with a view to building partnerships with and between different education and disability stakeholders.
Using article 24 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as a starting point, this webinar is part of our #BeTheSHIFT campaign launched end 2019 to achieve meaningful inclusion for persons with disabilities and their families.
Objectives of the webinar:
- Collect and exchange information on this issue in a selection of European countries.
- Present and discuss the COFACE Disability Platform key recommendations to ensure the right to education for all children through a shift towards inclusive education, as stated in article 24 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Use the COFACE Families Europe S.H.I.F.T Guide proposals and approach as a compass for inclusion of persons with disabilities and their families in education and in society.
- Foster dialogue and mutual exchange between COFACE Disability members and other actors in society.
- Acknowledge the perspective of and join forces with different stakeholders in society, including public authorities, civil society, mainstream education sector, staff and trade unions.
– COFACE Families Europe, staff and members
– Representatives of national/EU public authorities
– Representatives of civil society organisations
– Representatives of the mainstream education sector
– Self advocates (parents/children with disabilities) and DPOs
– Representative of workers of education
The event had English/French interpretation and closed captions/subtitles in English.
9.30-10.45 Session 1: Back-to-school for all?
- UNAPEI, France: Back to school campaign, Back to school campaign, a citizen mobilisation on inclusive education
- Gezinsbond, Belgium: The role of parents, of the children involved and of classmates in the equal access to inclusive education for all special needs children
- FIAPAS, Spain: Inclusive environments to access education in equal conditions in the COVID-19 context and beyond
10.45-12.00 Session 2: Triggering the S.H.I.F.T.
- COFACE S.H.I.F.T COFACE Families Europe. COFACE Disability Platform S.H.I.F.T Guide and Recommendations on Inclusive Education
Reactions and discussion with:
- Kamil Goungor, Development Officer, European Network on Independent Living
- Rossella Benedetti, Chair of the Standing Committee for Equality, European Trade Union Committee for Education
- Mary Kyriazopoulou, Project Manager, European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education
- Hans Martens, Head of Digital Citizenship, European Schoolnet
- Géraldine Libreau, Policy Officer on Early Childhood Education and Care, European Commission
12.00-12.15 Conclusions and next steps
Chantal Bruno and Sylvie Hirtz, co-chairs of the COFACE Disability Platform for the rights of persons with disabilities and their families.
- Recommendations on Inclusive Education, based on the COFACE Disability S.H.I.F.T. guide for a meaningful inclusion of persons with disabilities and their families
- Media release: No more time to waste to shift towards inclusive education
Speakers and organisations on Twitter