Not all children will go back to school in August and September. This webinar aims to raise awareness on the exclusion of children with disabilities from education and from mainstream education, structurally and in COVID-19 times. Join us on 14th September to help trigger a meaningful SHIFT towards inclusive education.
Session 1 will highlight actions and realities in different EU countries, with a focus on Italy, Belgium, Spain and France
Session 2 will be an exchange between COFACE and key European stakeholders on triggering a shift to fully inclusive education, with a view to building partnerships with and between different education and disability stakeholders.
Using article 24 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as a starting point, this webinar will feed into our #BeTheSHIFT campaign launched end 2019 to achieve meaningful inclusion for persons with disabilities and their families.
Objectives of the webinar:
- Collect and exchange information on this issue in a selection of European countries.
- Present and discuss the COFACE Disability Platform key recommendations to ensure the right to education for all children through a shift towards inclusive education, as stated in article 24 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Use the COFACE Families Europe S.H.I.F.T Guide proposals and approach as a compass for inclusion of persons with disabilities and their families in education and in society.
- Foster dialogue and mutual exchange between COFACE Disability members and other actors in society.
- Acknowledge the perspective of and join forces with different stakeholders in society, including public authorities, civil society, mainstream education sector, staff and trade unions.
This webinar is open to all, including:
– COFACE Families Europe, staff and members
– Representatives of national/EU public authorities
– Representatives of the mainstream education sector
– Self advocates (parents/children with disabilities) and DPOs
– Representative of workers of education
English/French interpretation will be available, as well as closed captions/subtitles in English.
9.30-10.45 Session 1: Back-to-school for all?
- UNAPEI, France: Back to school campaign, a citizen mobilisation on inclusive education
- Gezinsbond, Belgium: The role of parents, of the children involved and of classmates in the equal access to inclusive education for all special needs children
- FIAPAS, Spain: Inclusive environments to access education in equal conditions in the COVID-19 context and beyond
- AIAS, Italy: The challenge of COVID19 for the Italian inclusive education system
10.45-12.00 Session 2: Triggering the S.H.I.F.T.
- COFACE S.H.I.F.T Guide and Key Recommendations on Inclusive Education
- Reactions: ENIL, ETUCE, European Schoolnet, European Commission, European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education.
12.00-12.15 Conclusions and next steps
Co-chairs of the COFACE Disability Platform for the rights of persons with disabilities and their families.
Speakers and organisations on Twitter