*All the meeting documents for part 2, 3, 4 of the meeting are for internal use only,
and not for dissemination*
The changing face of work and family life
under the COVID-19 pandemic
-COFACE EXPERT MEETING-
9th March 2021
9.15-11.15 Part 1: Policy and advocacy session on gender inequalities in care and pay in the EU
(open to the public – the rest of the meeting will be internal for COFACE members only)
We will hear speakers from the European Institute for Gender Equality and the German Presidency of the EU, followed by a debate with them, COFACE members, and key COFACE partners working on this topic. The objective of this public session is to connect research, policy and practice organisations working on gender equality from different perspectives, and consider ways to strengthen advocacy and policy to close the gender care gap. The full programme can be found here.
11.15-11.30 Coffee and stretching break
11.30-13.00 Part 2: Key areas for joint and transnational working across EU countries
- Presentation and exchange of views of a potential 2022 Campaign on closing the Gender Care Gap, “Our family is a team” (30 minutes) Annemie Drieskens
- Data collection and European research projects: Gender equality index, Eurofound, Capable, Euroship. Identify together any research gaps. Do we need to launch any consultation of the COFACE network on closing the gender care gap? (30 minutes), Pascual Martinez
- European Family Lab: monthly webinars, including some on work-life balance. Could we develop an online training module on work-life balance for 2022? (30 minutes) Elizabeth Gosme
13.00-14.00 Lunch break
14.00-16.00 Part 3: The European Pillar of Social Rights and Families. Key developments.
Transposition of the EU Work-Life Balance Directive: key national and EU developments. Define a strategy together for upward reforms, especially with the pandemic in mind. (60 minutes).
- How is transposition of the directive going in your country?
- Are there any negative impacts or potential blockages that you foresee, and that we need to address?
Telework and work-life balance: Advantages & drawbacks. How to make sure flexible working arrangements benefit families? The European Parliament is pushing for an EU Directive on the “Right to disconnect”. Teleworking has become the norm in many professions in the past year, and will remain like this for many workers. (60 minutes)
- Does your organisation have any position on telework and work-life balance?
- What are the pros and cons of teleworking for families? How to address the potential drawbacks?
16.00-16.30 Part 4: Conclusions, to-do list and looking to the future
Forward thinking about Presidencies of the EU on gender equality and work-life balance: Portugal, Slovenia (2021), France, Czech Republic (2022), Sweden, Spain (2023), Belgium, Hungary (2024)