This year’s observance of the International Day of Families focused on the role of families and family-oriented policies in promoting education and overall well-being of their members. The Day also highlighted the importance of all caregivers in families (parents, grandparents, siblings…) and the importance of parental education for the welfare of children. It focused on good practices for work-family balance to assist parents in their educational and caregiving roles. More information about the UN International Day of Families.
COFACE Families Europe and its members joined the celebration of families worldwide by sharing articles and posting many messages on social media #DayOfFamilies. Some examples:
- COFACE Disability launched the family carer consultation, collecting testimonies until end of June.
- Women For Women, Czech Republic, organised a major event for families in Prague with over 6,500 participants.
- UNAF, Spain, underlining the importance of meeting the needs of the different family models
- Gezinsbond, Belgium, sharing tips for parents.
- GrandParentsPlus, UK, celebrating the role of grandparents and the wider family in difficult family circumstances.
- Salud y Familia, Spain created a poster from the perspective of migrants and family reunification.
Two days after, on May 17, many members also celebrated the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia #IDAHOT, sharing messages of non-discrimination and equal rights of all families.